Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Crock-Pot Pulled Pork


This is one of my favourite recipes and I'm salivating just preparing it and writing about eating it. 
Sadly, that will be hours from now :(
Make sure you use the type of BBQ sauce you like. I'm not a fan of very smokey sauce and my choice reflects that. 
I've chosen to use a pork roast here BUT, you can use 6 pork chops instead.




Ingredients:



So you will require BBQ sauce, water, seasoning of your choice, 
1 large onion, sliced
 2 lb pork roast or 6 pork chops...


In a measuring cup mix the following ingredients:

1 cup total BBQ sauce 
(I used 3/4 cup of Diana Honey Garlic and 1/4 cup Bull's Eye Chicken and Rib)
1/2 cup of water

Rub the chops or pork roast with a seasoning of your choice. I use my own Memphis rub (recipe to follow)or you can use a store bought pulled pork seasoning. 
Today I used Club House Roasted Garlic and Pepper and used about 1 Tablespoon

Pour about half of the BBQ sauce and water mix into the bottom of the crock-pot; add in half of the onions and the pork roast (or 3 of the chops)
Next, add the rest of the sliced onion (and the last 3 chops if using them) 

Pour over the remaining sauce...set the crock-pot to slow for 6-10 hours. 





The cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chops or roast. Slow cookers vary too much for me to give you an exact time.
Once the pork is easily shredding with a fork its time to eat!!! 

I transfer the pork and onions to a large bowl. Then in small batches I put it in my food processor and give a few pulses...Don't be shocked...just don't puree it please!!

Then back into the slow cooker to be reunited with the sauce :)
Serve on fresh rolls of your choosing. 
You can add lettuce and sliced tomatoes if you like.
Enjoy

Here is the rub recipe that can be used in many other recipes.

Memphis Rub

In jar or container combine the following spices:


2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoons kosher salt (less than half if using table salt, which I DON'T recommend)
3 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

This is HOT, use with caution :)


No comments:

Post a Comment